In1879, Highland Baptist Church began as the East Street Mission, which started as a ministry to reach the neighborhoods of south Fitchburg. Services and Bible studies were held on Sunday afternoons at East Street School. Despite experiencing financial strain and a shortage of volunteers in its earlier years, by God's faithfulness, the work continued and volunteers sacrificially bore the expenses of the ministry and pressed forward with one unified goal, to see lives transformed by the gospel of Jesus Christ. As the East Street Mission grew in number, It soon came to the attention of some that a number of people in the area showed interest in a church plant in their neighborhood. In 1890, a committee was formed, canvassing was done, the property was purchased and a Chapel was erected on Cedar Street.
On April 28, 1891, Highland Baptist Church was organized with 35 founding members. Ministry began immediately and grew rapidly. As of 2019, HBC has underwent a church merger with The Haven Church, as well as installed a new Lead Pastor. So far, Highland has seen 128 years of God's faithfulness and unceasing provision in the city of Fitchburg and throughout the world.
We exist to glorify God by making disciples and equipping the saints for the work of the gospel ministry in Fitchburg, surrounding area and the globe. We do this by God-centered worship, community, service and education.